Last week I waxed poetic about the 100 things posts that used to be all the rage a couple years ago. I love those posts, they’re such a fun way to get to know a blogger. The About Me page is always interesting, but something happens in the 100 things list…. the blogger’s personality starts to shine through and before the end you really feel like you know the person behind the words.
I had a blast writing my first 100 things, so much so that I’m going to try it again. After all, I wrote that list 2 years ago; while the early stuff hasn’t changed, I’m definitely not the person I was then. (My first 100 things post can be found here!)
So, without further ado…
1. I was born in France
2. Years and years ago (ok fine, 34 years ago)
3. I never, ever thought I’d live in California
4. In fact, I used to make fun of California
5. I have no idea why.
6. I love it here now
7. I can’t fathom ever living somewhere else.
8. Something about seeing the sun almost every day makes me happy.
9. The last two years have felt like ten.
10. In a good way.
11. I’ve been looking for my path.
12. Two years ago I thought I’d found it.
13. Now I’m really sure I have.
14. I do worry that in two years I’ll read that and laugh.
15. I want to be a life coach.
16. Well, I want that to be my career rather than just my friends’ private coach.
17. I have a great plan for making that work.
18. It’s going to take a while,
19. but I’m not letting myself get discouraged.
20. I have two delightful daughters.
21. And one fictitious son – Max – who lives only in my heart.
22. Really, fictitious. Honest. Dream baby, not angel baby.
23. I have somehow created a life for us that is based in a town we don’t live in.
24. Friends, schools, community… all 30 minutes away.
25. We hardly know our actual neighbors.
26. This makes playdates rather challenging.
27. But it does mean we can go to the grocery store in our pajamas without worrying about running into anyone we know.
28. Of course we go to the grocery store in our jammies.
29. Our Safeway is across the street from a University.
30. We’d stick out like sore thumbs if we didn’t wear jammies.
31. That’s just another reason I love living in CA.
32. You can’t go to the grocery store at night in France.
33. I haven’t been home in over four years.
34. I miss it.
35. If I’m honest, I really mostly miss my friends.
36. Though maybe also the yogurt aisle and the chocolate aisle in the grocery stores too.
37. I love chocolate.
38. I love candy even more.
39. Gummy candy. Especially if it’s a little stale.
40. That might explain why I never lost the second baby weight.
41. I lost some, but not enough.
42. I find it hard to muster the energy to want to do something about it.
43. Then I go shopping and I get depressed.
44. I don’t go shopping very often.
45. I do buy too many books.
46. I can’t help it.
47. I love to read.
48. I get terrified at the thought of having nothing to read.
49. I’m also addicted to reading comic strip anthologies.
50. It’s what I read during the week.
51. I think it’s why I’m good at writing dialogue.
52. I save novels for weekends.
53. I usually read one per week.
54. I’ve done the math on what that costs, so I don’t buy all the books.
55. I borrow some when I can.
56. But I’m still addicted to book stores.
57. I love walking around amongst the shelves, imagining my books being there one day.
58. I’ve written one book.
59. I have pages of notes on two others.
60. I’m not sure I’ll ever manage to finish editing the first though.
61. Every time I finish a round of edits I find new things to work on.
62. I can’t let myself start on the new books until this one feels really done.
63. I’d much rather be writing than editing.
64. I worry that when I finally send out my book to agents that they won’t like it and that they won’t hate it, they’ll just think it’smeh.
65. If I never get it fully edited, we’ll never know.
66. I can find a million ways to procrastinate on editing.
67. 100 things about me post anyone?
68. I never thought I’d enjoy spending my mornings at Starbucks as much as I do.
69. I’ve met some really interesting people there.
70. Even if I lived closer to the kids’ schools I’d still go there to work in the mornings.
71. Just too many distractions at home.
72. Like the Tv.
73. And the laundry.
74. And a million home improvement projects that never get done.
75. I could pretend that one day our house will be magazine ready.
76. but really, I don’t ever want it to be.
77. I do want the laundry to get done and stay done.
78. A girl can dream, no?
79. While I’m dreaming, I’ll dream for more time.
80. With more time I’d start knitting again.
81. I’d cook more too.
82. And I’d run.
83. I’m a failed runner.
84. I want to run. I love to run. But I get off the couch less and less.
85. That probably explains #41.
86. To be fair, I always jack up my back when I run.
87. I hate having an untrustworthy back.
88. Throwing out my back makes being a mom challenging.
89. We just got a Tempurpedic bed.
90. I’m having trouble adjusting to it.
91. I’m not good at handling change.
92. If it helps with my back I’ll learn to live with it.
93. Right now I miss my cozy, cushy old bed.
94. It’s not like I’m in it enough anyway.
95. To get everyone to school on time I have to wake up at 6am.
96. I am not an early riser.
97. I live for the weekends when M lets me sleep until 9.
98. Then the girls come cuddle with me.
99. That’s when I know everything is well in my world.
100. It’s not what I expected and it could change at any time, but right now I’ll take it as is.
I bullied challenged some online friends to write their own 100 things. Click on their links below to get to know them too. And if you have your own 100 things — current or not! Post it, please? I really do love them.