You know it, I know it, everyone knows it, avocados are the thing right now. I live in California so to us, they’ve always been the thing, but apparently the rest of the world has caught on (thank you Keto craze!) and have made the avocado prices soar, uh I mean, have made avocados crazy popular. Especially in toast form. Which, I will admit to not quite “getting” at first. I mean, I love toast, don’t get me wrong, but I like it with excellent butter and some first rate jam. amirite? I used to really enjoy my avocado on burgers and the like, but then I started the FASTer Way to Fat Loss* and had to go gluten free for a bit all while radically increasing my avocado intake and, well, suddenly avocado toast didn’t seem so unappealing. Except, gluten free = no actual toast.
Enter the magical potato waffle. Take some hash brown potatoes, mix in some egg white and a couple spices and poof, you have a delectable toast variation to do your avocado justice. Doing the FASTer Way to Fat Loss or tracking your Macros? This is a great source of good carbs, healthy fats, and protein. Perfect for both regular and low macro days.
(Welcome to the first It’s My Life… recipe. If you’re new here, be sure to subscribe so you never miss a recipe or post. If you’re a regular, I hope you’ll stick around and enjoy the new developments around these parts! Got recipes you’d like me to share? Leave a comment below or message me. And please, do me a solid and click that “Pin” button below!
Hope today is delicious and wonderful in every way.
*Please note: this FASTer Way to Fat Loss link is an affiliate link. If you click it and decide to sign up for the program, I will receive compensation. If you click through and decide to sign up for the program, please let me know. I’d be thrilled to help you in any way I can!
Hashbrown Potato Waffle Avocado Toast
- 1 Waffle Iron
- 4 oz Grated Potatoes (I recommend frozen hash brown potatoes)
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Green Onion
- Dash Garlic Powder
- Dash Paprika Optional
- Dash Salt
- Dash Pepper
- Dash Trader Joe's Everyday Seasoning Optional
- 1/2 Avocado
- 2 slices Center-cut Bacon Optional
- Plug in your waffle iron and turn it to the highest setting. Allow it to warm up while you prepare your potatoes.
- If using frozen hash brown potatoes, defrost using the microwave in short bursts. If using regular potatoes grate and wrap in a clean dish-cloth to wring out as much water as possible. Don't be afraid to squeeze hard!
- Crack one of the eggs over the potatoes, letting about half the egg white pour over them. Put the rest of the egg in another bowl.
- Add finely chopped green onion, dash of salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika and TJ's Everyday Seasoning and any other spices that appeal to you. Mix well.
- Spray the waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray and spread the potato mixture out on the bottom of the waffle iron. NOTE: The potatoes will NOT spread like regular waffle batter would. You MUST spread it out. Cook for 8-10 minutes until crispy. The waffle iron WILL steam. This is totally normal.
- While the waffle iron is doing its thing, place the bacon on a cold skillet and turn the heat to medium, high. When the bacon is about half cooked, push it to the side and add the eggs to the skillet.
- Remove the potato waffle from the iron and top with avocado, bacon and eggs. Enjoy this amazing treat. Repeat tomorrow and every lunch hereafter.