Last week I announced that I was taking part in the ConAgra Foods Child Hunger Ends Here campaign. You didn’t think I was going to leave it at that, did you? Toil away in silence over here in my own backyard and let you forget the kids in yours?
Come on. Haven’t you been around here before? Do I seem like the quiet type to you?
Nah. I care too much.
Remember how I told you that almost 1/4 children in the US are hungry? Well, that’s true, but it’s a generalization. It might be more in your state, it might be less. Click here if you want to see how your own state compares to that national statistic.
If you’re here in California with me? Well, we need to get to work, because it’s not pretty out there.
And really, it’s more than about just empty bellies. Did you know that:
- Kids who are hungry don’t do well in school? They have more trouble learning and they don’t do as well on tests.
- Kids who are even a little bit under-nourished can be affected? It can affect their behavior, their school performance, and their overall cognitive development.
- Kids who are hungry are affected physically? They don’t grow as fast and their brains don’t develop as well. They can also suffer from more stomach aches, headaches, colds, ear infections, and fatigue.
It’s more than a little hunger. It’s a life sentence. When a child doesn’t get the proper nutrients early on there are repercussions all the way down the line. They will feel the effects forever.
Kids aren’t the only ones who are hungry. 1 in 6 Americans are known as “food insecure.” Essentially, they’re not 100% sure where their next meal is coming from. Do you know what you’re having for breakfast? For lunch? For dinner? For breakfast tomorrow? They don’t. That’s scary.
One in six.
So what are we going to do about it?
I’m going to organize a neighborhood rally. It’s going to be something simple. A bake sale. A food drive. Something to bring the community together so we can raise some money and collect some food.
You can do the same.
– You can transform an event you’re already going to into a Child Hunger Ends Here rally.
– You can hold a rally. (Register your rally to get a toolkit to help you!)
– You can tell people that there’s a growing problem right here and that we can stop it.
– You can even just shop – for each Banquet, Chef Boyardee, Healthy Choice, Manwich, Marie Callender’s, Orville Redenbacher’s, Peter Pan Peanut Butter product purchased through the end of May 2010 a dollar will be donated by ConAgra Foods to FeedingAmerica. A dollar buys seven meals. So with a single grocery run you can make quite a difference.
People who are hungry don’t look hungry. They look like you and me. They look overweight. They look skinny. They look young. They look old. They look like our children, like our neighbor’s children.
Without even trying all that hard we can help them secure their next meal.
What are you going to do to help?
In the interest of full disclosure I have to tell you that I have been hired by ConAgra to spread the word about the Child Hunger Ends Here Neighborhood Rally campaign. I am being compensated for this work, but trust me, I’m going to earn every dime and feed as many children as possible doing it.