Almost one in four children in America struggles with hunger. One in four. That’s a quarter of America’s children who doesn’t have enough food to fill their bellies every day. A quarter. Nearly 17 million children.
And it’s not kids off in some “poor” neighborhood in a town far far away. There’s a child in your neighborhood who doesn’t know where his next meal is coming. And he’s not alone. Yes, even if you live in an affluent neighborhood you’re living next to children who are hungry.
It’s a tragedy that’s taking place in our own back yards and we can’t ignore it any longer.
A couple of years ago, back when the recession and its effects were still making headlines, I saw a news report on food lines. People lining up in a park so that they could get some dinner. I thought at first that it was a report on a third world country, but it wasn’t, it was here, in the US. Families going hungry. Right here. I was horrified. (The fact that at the time we were spending billions of dollars trying to land on Mars has a lot to do with why I was horrified. But that’s neither here nor there.)
Ironically those stories aren’t making the headlines any more despite the fact that the hunger issue has gotten worse instead of better. It’s not news any more. It’s regular life.
Well, that’s just wrong and it has to end.
It’s time for us to take a stand and do something about the problem. It’s time to feed some children. Our children. The children in our backyards.
Join me over the next few weeks as I take part in the ConAgra Childhood Hunger Ends Here (CHEH) Neighborhood Rally campaign. I’ll be blogging, tweeting, and facebooking regularly about the campaign and the incredible efforts going into feeding America’s hungry children. I’ll also be organizing a neighborhood rally to help raise money for FeedingAmerica.
You can help too. Here’s how:
- You can shop ConAgra products – Banquet, Chef Boyardee, Healthy Choice, Manwich, Marie Callender’s, Orville Redenbacher’, or Peter Pan Peanut Butter. For each purchase of one of these brands ConAgra will donate one meal to FeedingAmerica. To help you buy these products and to see what each of these brands is doing to help with the campaign visit this page to print out a $1.50 off coupon.
- Plan a neighborhood rally of your own or turn an existing neighborhood event into a CHEH rally! Visit here to see how.
- Help me figure out the theme of my rally. I’m taking suggestions! (And advice! Seriously, help!)
- Help me spread the word. Tell you friends about this blog post. Tell your friends about the campaign. Retweet what you see me tweet about the campaign, and what you see others tweet with the hashtag #fightchildhunger. Kids are hungry. You can help just by telling people about the issue.
- Follow ConAgra Foods on Twitter @ConAgraFoods and on Facebook for updates and exciting announcements about the campaign.
Thank you for your patience as I talk this campaign up. Thank you for helping me spread the word and doing your part to fight child hunger.
So, can a blogger end child hunger? With your help she’s sure going to try!
In the interest of full disclosure I have to tell you that I have been hired by ConAgra to spread the word about the Child Hunger Ends Here Neighborhood Rally campaign. I am being compensated for this work, but trust me, I’m going to earn every dime and feed as many children as possible doing it.
See what the other CHEH bloggers are saying: