Friday Flashback is all about bringing to light some of my favorite posts from my archives to breathe new light into them. This is part of a post that was originally published in April 2008 in response to a meme sent to me by my good friend Mah-meee. If you’d like to see the two paragraph rant about French public education being short on extra curricular classes that preceded this post, by all means click here.
Five classes I wish they had taught in school
1) Self esteem 101: You Rock! And don’t let anyone tell you otherwise!
A quick course aimed at boosting your self esteem and getting you to believe that, yes, it really is his loss. Darn it! This class will focus on getting you to realize just how awesome you really are.
2) The world is your oyster 104: If you want it you can have it.
Just because you didn’t study the migration patterns of bees in middle school doesn’t mean that you can’t be an apiculturist if you so choose. This course will show you how to keep learning long after high school, college, or even grad school! Bonus classes will teach that choosing one career path doesn’t mean you can’t change later on down the road.
3) Self creation 102: Be who you want to be.
Don’t like who you are? Don’t want to be the shy mousy girl in the corner? Take this class and reinvent yourself. We can show you the secret to shucking off your shyness* and fear of rejection. OK. Maybe not that last one, but the shy thing for sure.
4) A little self love never hurt anyone. No, not that kind of self love, the other kind.
This short course will teach you the importance of being kind to yourself and of taking care of your needs before the needs of those around you. Especially important for anyone intending to eventually become a parent.
5) How to make millions doing exactly what you want.
You want to sit on your couch all day eating bonbons and watching Charmed reruns all day? Fine. 18 holes of golf six days a week? No problem. Marathon shopping excursions? Why the heck not? This class teaches the secret to making money without having to do any work. Nope, no work at all. Pinkie swear.
What? Wouldn’t you have taken this class? Come on now, be honest!
* Don’t want to be shy any more? It’s easy: just pretend you aren’t shy. I know, it’s corny, but it works. Next time you go to a party just pretend you are super self confident. Chanel that cool girl in the corner. I guarantee that in no time you’ll feel less shy. Eventually it’ll become second nature. You may always be shy inside, but no one will ever know. Trust me, I know what I’m talking about.