Writing, much like running, is one of my greatest joys and one of the things I struggle most to do. I sit down at my computer, ideas bouncing around my head, and instead of opening Word, or even this blog post editor, I open Facebook, my email, Twitter, Pinterest, anything to put off that moment when my fingers will hammer out what’s in my head.
I’m not sure why I procrastinate the way I do; writing is the greatest high possible. And yet, here you have it, even knowing how much I’m going to love it, I always balk at the idea of getting started.
So, much like I trick myself into running, I’ve created a Pinterest board filled with awesome quotes on writing. Reading encouragements from great writers reminds me how privileged I am to be part of their crew and jump starts my desire to get going.
Here are my top 9 favorites.
1) Find a way or find an excuse. (Bonus: Works for running or writing!)
2) Start with one word and see where it goes.
3) Everyone finds it hard. Even greats like Hemingway.
4) We don’t write because we like to, we write because we need to.
5) It doesn’t have to be perfect. It just has to be.
6) Writing, it’s how I think.
7) It’s as easy as it is hard.
8) The elves aren’t coming any time soon.
9) Not letting the story out just isn’t an option.
What gets you to stop procrastinating and start writing?